- At Kelvale we offer a full skin check for prevention and treatment of skin cancer
- Our Doctors have undergone specialised training in skin cancer medicine and have been trained in dermoscopy for early detection of skin cancer
Skin Cancer Facts:
Skin cancer is a disease of the body's skin cells usually as a result of skin cell damage. Skin cancer can grow when the cells which make up our skin are damaged, causing them to grow abnormally.
The majority of skin cancers in Australia are caused by exposure to UV radiation in sunlight.
Early detection generally gives the best chance of successfully treating skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer is the most common cancer in Australia
- 2 in 3 Australians will be diagnosed with some form of skin cancer at some time in their lives
- It is recommended that Australian adults have annual skin checks
The sooner a skin cancer is identified and treated, the better your chance of avoiding surgery or, in the case of a serious melanoma or other skin cancer, potential disfigurement or even death.
We can help you understand your personal risk factors such as:
- Your previous sun exposure
- Your family history of skin cancer
- Any adverse lifestyle factors
- A large number of moles on your skin
- A skin type that is sensitive to ultraviolet (UV) radiation and burns easily
- A history of severe sunburn
- Using solariums or sunlamps
Identifying Skin Cancer:
For more information on what to look for and how to examine your skin see the link below:
Skin cancer screening involves a visual inspection of your skin by a medical professional using a dermatoscope.
Our doctors have special training including Dermoscopy that enables them to diagnose and manage all forms of skin cancer.
Typically, a spot that the doctor suspects is cancerous will be biopsied. During a biopsy, a small amount of tissue is removed and sent for evaluation by a pathologist.
No blood work is conducted at a skin screening and the procedure is painless.
Skin Check Fees:
Initial Consultation (20 mins) $114
Follow-Up Consultation (10mins) $76
Medicare Rebates apply.
Removals are additional and costs vary according to the removal required.